Mission: We protect and develop healthy, sustainable forest resources for Virginians.
Details: The Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) was established in 1914 to prevent and suppress forest fires and reforest bare lands. More than 100 years later, we still fight wildfires and plant trees, but the agency has grown and evolved to meet the needs of Virginians and the forestry community. VDOF foresters and forest technicians are stationed across the state and are available to private and public forestland owners as a resource for technical forest management advice and planning services. In addition to providing recommendations to forest landowners, VDOF provides these programs and services:
- Cost share programs for reforestation and afforestation
- Tax credit program to promote forest riparian buffer retention during timber harvests
- Silvicultural water quality protection through inspections of timber harvest sites
- Urban & community forestry assistance and grants
- Forest health monitoring and control
- Investigation of suspected timber theft
- State Forest management
- Wildland firefighting and prescribed burn services
- Conservation education & Smokey Bear
- Seedling nursery & store
A team of three foresters and one forest technician serve the Northern Neck. Their office is in Tappahannock.
Forestland Conservation Options
VDOF nursery – Buy Virginia Trees
To speak to a forester about VDOF services or programs:
VDOF – Northern Neck office
623 Lewis St.
Tappahannock, VA 22560
Office phone: 804-443-2211