The Northern Neck Native Plant Society (NNNPS) seeks to encourage the conservation of Virginia’s native plants, to educate the public about Northern Neck’s native plants, and to encourage their preservation and cultivation.
NNNPS presents informative programs/presentations to membership and the general public about conservation, preservation and cultivation of native plants; ecological benefits of native plants either in natural or garden sites; beauty and curiosity of native plants; propagation and cultivation techniques; uses of native plants in human habitats of commercial, school, parks or residential sites including meadows and rain gardens. Field outings are offered where botanizing may be learned and practiced; observation of native plants in natural or garden settings can be made; and a general enjoyment of nature. Invasive plant removal projects are encouraged. Demonstration gardens are planned, planted and maintained throughout the NNk. NNNPS holds an annual native plant sale in September.
The Grow Northern Neck Natives, Go Native, Grow Native campaign has produced publications specific to native plants indigenous to the NNk. These publications and other materials are available on the Chapter’s website.
- Plant of the Month for prior years and current year to date and perhaps the current Virginia Wildflower of the Year
- Theme for current year with table of anticipated programs and field outings
- Where to buy NNK Native Plants and where to see them in demo gardens on the NNK
- The NNNPS’s website has PDFs of newsletters, a comprehensive listing of all the native plants of the Northern Neck
- Garden plans with plant lists GardenPlans.pdf
- Virginia Native Plant Society http://www.vnps.org/
- The Digital Atlas of Virginia Flora www.vaplantatlas.org/
- Wildflowers and Native Grasses of the Virginia Coastal Plain http://wildflowersofvirginia.com/wildflowers-grasses-of-virginias-coastal-plain/
- Native Plants Chesapeake Bay http://www.nativeplantcenter.net/?q=plants/265
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=THOC2
- USDA native plants http://plants.usda.gov/java/
- Invasive Plants http://www.invasive.org/
- Several [white paper?] publications such as “Do I have to Mow All That?” and “Alternatives to English Ivy”
- NNk Native Plant Demo Garden Trail – a pocket size map to the demo gardens on the NNk
Paula Boundy, NNNPS Chapter President